Monday, April 13, 2009

Red Sox at As 2009 Game 1

Standing in the Rockridge BART station, I must have seen two dozen Red Sox fans before I saw one As fan. I ran into a former student, Patrick, who was wearing a Yankees cap. Obviously he was not rooting "for" but "against". We smiled, greeted each other and wished each other luck. We could not have been less sincere.

Lester vs Braden, two good lefties - but Lester did not hit his spots tonight, and Braden mixed and moved his pitches really well. Youk homered in the top of the second, but the As had five runs on the board before Lester could get five outs. Lester actually struck out the side in the second, but obviously, not a good thing. My first chance to see Nick Green, who started at short; did not make a positive or negative impression - but at least held his own. My first chance to see Saito as a Red Sox, too, and he did not perform too well as Holiday tripled off him to right to close the scoring at 8-2.

There were two "diving plays" by Sox OFs - one by Bay that resulted in Giambi's double, and one by Drew that was Holiday's triple. Both seemed like they should be catchable. Maybe it was the angle from behind the plate (I had really good seats), but it sure seemed like they did not track the balls well.

The As mascot "Stomper" hung out behind us for qute a few innings; was a little annoying to have that thing hovering behind me.

The Red Sox are 2-5; last place. And I do not like the new road uni's, either; they need more red.

2 comments:

dma said...

Despite the result, wish I was there. Seeing the Yanks I have no idea how that is a $200m lineup. But then I think about the Sox and have no clue how they are a $100m+ team. Oh well, it's still April. Hope you have fun tonight!

David

winchou said...

Amen. It's a marathon. But sure would be nice to get a win! Dice-K tonight.