Tuesday, December 27, 2005

TimePhiz X-Post

A little rant on the other blog ... NSA and CIA for Kids (click)

While I was posting this, my cousin Jen called, and we talked about the "idea" of NSA and CIA web sites for kids. I mentioned that there were a couple other sorta controversial sites for kids, but I couldn't think of examples for a few things. Well, Jen, here is one: FEMA for Kids


Here's some great commentary by Linton Weeks from the Washington Post via the Winston-Salem Journal (hey, Winston): "The government also uses scaredy-pants tactics with young folks. The Federal Emergency Management Agency Web site for kids, for instance, features a hermit crab mascot named Herman, who, when faced with flood or fire, scurries like a scared crab to find a new shell to hide in. Couldn't the mascot be a wise, muscular Saint Bernard that helps people in disasters?" read more (click) ...

Also, the site that stuck in my mind as the "mother of stupid government web sites" is ready.gov -- you know, the web site that spawned all the duct-tape and plastic nuttiness: ready.gov


Although it seems to be toned down a bit now -- I remember that it was quite a bit sillier. For example, I can't find the "burning man" graphic any more (yeah, that's right, I downloaded and saved all the little graphics!). Also, I've always thought that in the "car with explosion on the horizon" graphic, the arrow should have formed more of a U-turn. It's hard to say if the dead bird and fish are a sign of a bio-hazard, or are themselves a bio-hazard. In any case, it's truly something to stand and consider, hand to chin. Keep in mind that our tax dollars are paying for all these useful web sites. And, hey! Ready Kids is "coming soon"!

No comments: